When it comes to decorating and enhancing the look of your home and related appliances, you always search for a reliable option. A suitable accompanying product is equally essential to perform your desired task as the main one.
What I want to say is the best air compressor for painting is equally important as the painting chore. So if you are going to freshen the look of your home or want to paint it, you must have information about an air compressor for your painting.
Finding the best air compressor for your painting is not a piece of cake. It’s a bit tricky. You have to do a thorough analysis of all the air compressors that match your needs.
Generally, you will need an air compressor that is compatible with all types of paint sprayers. It can assist you in extensive projects at your worksite and can be best utilized at home for small projects.
- 1 Comparison Table – Editor’s Choice 2021
- 2 6 Best Air Compressors For Painting in 2021 | Review Guide
- 2.1 1. Powermate Vx PLA4708065 | Best Air Compressors For Painting | 80 Gallon Capacity
- 2.2 2. P1.5IU-A9 2hp 20 gallons | Best Single-Stage air Compressor Under 500
- 2.3 3. Rolair VT25BIG 2.5 HP Wheeled Compressor | Best 20 gall air compressors for Home
- 2.4 4. PORTER-CABLE C2002 | Best Oil free air Compressors Under Budget
- 2.5 5. BOSTITCH Pancake Air Compressor | Best Pancake air compressor for painting furniture
- 2.6 6. California Air Tools CAT-1P1060S | Best California air compressors for painters
- 3 Buying Guide 2021 | Best Air Compressor for Painting
- 4 Conclusion
Comparison Table – Editor’s Choice 2021
6 Best Air Compressors For Painting in 2021 | Review Guide
Enlisted collection on the basis of more tank size and reliability:
1. Powermate Vx PLA4708065 | Best Air Compressors For Painting | 80 Gallon Capacity
- Features a Powerful 240-Volt, 15-Amp Motor that Delivers 4.7-HP
- Offers a 155-PSI Maximum Pressure
- Provides 14-CFM at 90-PSI for Longer Air Tool Run Times on Ratchets, Impacts, Spray Guns and Hammers
- Features a 80-Gallon Capacity Tank Durably Built from Steel
- Includes a Oil-Lubricated Pump with a 1-Piece Cast-Iron Crankcase and a Full Cast-Iron Cylinder Body
This air compressor by Powermate is a strong built and powerful unit. It is designed for all the jobs which an air compressor is used for, but here our main focus will be on spraying paint through it.
It has a big 80-gallon steel tank that withholds enough air to paint job done, will not leave you hanging in the middle. It has a maximum of 155 psi pressure, also provides 14 cm at 90 psi which is ideal for spraying paint, hammer, and guns. This ideal pressure ensures smooth and uniform finishing while spraying paint on metals especially.
It has a strong 15 amp motor which delivers 4.7 hp, it also includes an oil-lubricated pump with a single-piece cast iron crankcase and cast iron cylinder as well.
Its more best features include a three-cylinder cast iron pump with aluminum head and valve plates for safety cooling and better work. The tank also has a pressure gauge for pressure checks and control. The wired structure on the tank gives more protection and efficient cooling of the unit. Moreover, if you need a 60-gallon air compressor, review our guide 2021.
Don’t be afraid of its big design because it is still very silent. It has 354lb weight, best for commercial users.
2. P1.5IU-A9 2hp 20 gallons | Best Single-Stage air Compressor Under 500
- Portable Design: Heavy-duty ergonomic handle and semi-pneumatic tires for easy handling, ideal for DIYers or the professional
- User Friendly: A low 80 dBA noise level, an easily accessible side drain valve and an automatic start/stop pressure switch control provides a superior user experience
- Maximum Power: 100% continuous duty, along with 20-gallon recever tank for tough applications
- Reliable Operation: All Season Select synthetic lubricant increases efficiency; with 2,000 hours of service between changeouts, it performs four times longer than petroleum-based lubricants
- Long-Life: Durable cast iron cylinder and frame, protective enclosed belt guard and manual overload motor protection provide excellent longevity
This air compressor is also a very heavy-duty unit. It has a 20-gallon tank, a max of 135 psi air pressure, makes it handy with tough jobs. It is good for all air tools like painting, impact guns, nail guns, drills. Also, ensure continuous airflow with good pressure for better performance.
It also has a 2hp strong motor built for heavy duties. The wired structure over the tank ensures more protection and cooling for efficient work. The best features of this unit also include a discharge mounted valve, check valve, pressure gauge for good control, a service valve, and a side drain valve as well. It also offers an automatic start and stops pressure switch control for better performance, and also has manual on/off.
Almost all compressors made for heavy duties work are hard to move. This unit has 200lb weight but the wheels make it portable easy to move around the home or other job sites. This is also very quiet having only 80 DB as compared to other same size air compressors.
3. Rolair VT25BIG 2.5 HP Wheeled Compressor | Best 20 gall air compressors for Home
- Air Compressors and Vacuum Pumps
- Manufacturer: Rolair
- Country of Manufacturer: Taiwan
This air compressor is strongly built with a 5.3-gallon tank. It has 6.5 cfm at 90 psi pressure. So it can perform jobs like framing guns, nailers, painting anf for cutting etc easily. If you are interested in just using it for painting purposes so it can handle all types of spray guns nicely.
It has a 2.5 hp powerful motor, it can run at 3400 rpm which is very fast running time, with such power and speed the tank fills very fast and the out is also very well. It has a lubricated pump.
This unit has two psi valves on it each for the tank and regulator psi for a nice check and balance of air pressure. Overall the compressor is well protected for longer use.
This unit has 100lb weight, you can move it comfortably around the workplace because of its two wheels and long dragging handle. This unit also offers one full year warranty ensuring better return and replace options if found damaged or something.
4. PORTER-CABLE C2002 | Best Oil free air Compressors Under Budget
- 150 psi max tank pressure of the portable air compressor allows more air in the tank for longer tool runtimes
- 2.6 SCFM @ 90 psi of the electric air compressor allows for quick compressor recovery time, per ISO1217
- 6 gal Pancake style tank of the PORTER-CABLE air compressor is made for stability, includes water drain valve and rubber feet
- Low Amp 120V motor of the 6 gallon air compressor starts easily in cold weather or with extension cord
- Durable oil-free pump for long life and no maintenance
This air compressor is designed with a pancake tank, having the capacity of storing 6 gallons of air. This unit has a max of 150 and offers 2.6 cfm at 90 psi which is excellent for all types of air tools.
It has an oil-free pump, so no maintenance issues to worry about. It also has a quick recovery time. It has two couplers installed which makes it usable for two users.
The low amp motor starts easily in cold weather as well, also the auto on/off feature gives more reliability by reducing heat and saving power.
This unit only weighs 30lb, so easy to move in or out of the worksite. The tank has rubber footing, leaving the surface scratch less and also stays quiet and balanced during work. It also contains water drain valves.
This unit has 82 dba, which is a little bit noisy in the confined workplace. This unit is very cheap and still works beyond your imagination. If you are in need of silent compresssprs, do check our latest guide.
5. BOSTITCH Pancake Air Compressor | Best Pancake air compressor for painting furniture
- The portable air compressor has a long-life oil-free, maintenance-free pump for convenient use
- 150 max PSI 6.0 gallon tank (22.7 L) and 2.6 SCFM* delivered @ 90 PSI pump enable long tool run time with quick recovery of the electric air compressor
- BOSTITCH high efficiency motor of the 6 gallon air compressor is made for easy start up in cold weather or extension cord application [14 GA or larger, 50 ft. (15.2 m) or less]
- 78.5 dBA** operational noise level for a quiet work environment
- 29 lb. weight makes unit easy to carry and store
This air compressor by Bostitch has a pancake 6-gallon air tank. This machine has max of 150 psi pressure and delivers 2.6cfm at a 90psi pump. This unit is ideal for all types of inflation and air tools like nailers and painting etc.
Besides it is a low hp machine, it has a quick recovery time and can fill the tank in just 3 min. It can start in cold weather conditions just in a sec. It can be used from a long distance because of a longer extension.
The oil-free feature of its pump satisfies maintenance and a high flow regulator and couplers enhance better air tools performance. More capacity, more useful compressor.
This unit has only 30lb weight which puts this unit in the portable category. It is best for DIY users. The rubber footing ensures surface safety and balance. This unit has a 78db noise which is not that high as compared to others of this type.
It also offers a limited one year warranty, if you feel anything wrong about this just replace it.
6. California Air Tools CAT-1P1060S | Best California air compressors for painters
- Ultra quiet only 56 Decibels
- Oil-Free pump for less maintenance & costs
- Lightweight for easy transporting - 29 lbs
- 1.0 gallon steel tank
- Powerful 0.6 HP (rated / running) - 1.20 CFM @ 90 PSI
This air compressor is one of the quietest air compressors having only 56 dB sound.
This unit has 0.6 hp motor powered by 110 v which produces 1. 2 CFM @ 90 PSI which is ideal pressure to handle staple guns, brad nail guns, finish nail guns, nail guns, airbrushes, and blowguns.
This motor runs at 1680 rpm resulting in low noise and less wear. It has an oil-free feature and is a single-piston pump that is engineered for high performance and durability.
The best of all features of this Oil-Free Single Piston pump is that it is designed to have a life cycle before wear of 3000 Plus hours compared to other comparable air compressors with life cycles of 250 hours or less. It can operate in any low-temperature weather condition.
It has a one-gallon air capacity tank and having only 20 lb weights that make it portable around the job site. The rubber padding allows it to stand quietly while performing, leaving no sign of dragging on the surface. Review full guide on California brand.
Buying Guide 2021 | Best Air Compressor for Painting
Choosing the best air compressor for painting whether its an appliance or air compressor for your car painting requires a well-planned decision. You can make this decision only if you know about which air compressor meets your needs and is according to your affordable range.
You must consider the mentioned points before buying an air compressor for painting.
1. Air Compressor Tank
The size of the tank is an essential factor to maintain and supply adequate power to your work without breaks. The selection of an air compressor for car painting is a very challenging task.
Choosing a small and cheap unit can put your goal in trouble. Always buy an air compressor for painting purposes that has a capacity of approximately 50 gallons so that it can flourish your hopes and intention.
2. Value of Air Pressure (PSI)
It is the value of air a compressor is giving to operate paint sprayer. There are some paint sprayers that operate as airless. They require air compressors with a high value of PSI.
So if your choice is the airless sprayer, then it is suggested to buy an air compressor that has a decent PSI.
High vapor pressure liquid( HVPL ) paint sprayers use air compressors with less range of PSI. So, with HVPL you should not buy high rated PSI air compressors for painting purposes.
3. CFM of Air Compressor for paint sprayers
It is one of the decisive properties to consider when selecting a product for painting. We want continuity and fluency in our paintings. Continuous paint spray for sprayers is only achieved when you have an air compressor that has a high value of CFM.
Air compressors for painting with low CFM will give you paint with uneven finishing and can splash out of nozzle roughly.
Another property that needs your ultimate consideration after PSI and CFM is horsepower. If you are using an air compressor for painting as non-industrial, then 1-2 HP motor is best combined with 6 CFM and 30-40PSI.
Nowadays 2 HP motor operating air compressors are rated well but only in case if you have selected air compressor with 40 PSI and 8CFM.
Which type of Air Compressor you need to Paint a Car
Certainly, the size of an air compressor plays a vital role in accomplishing your need. As a matter of fact, the larger the size of the tank of an air compressor for car painting, the maximum it will have the capacity of providing air to paint sprayers of cars.
Irrespective of the model of your car, you should buy an air compressor with a minimum one-gallon capacity otherwise small-sized air compressors will take long of your work of painting car.
For heavy vehicles such as trucks and trailers, you need an air compressor with a capacity of 70 or more gallons to paint it in one go.
However, cars and small vehicles can work best at 30-60 gallons to cover the exterior at a given time.
Briefly, if you have an air compressor that has a small capacity of holding air, you will run out of air quickly halfway of your paint. This means that spray will stop painting due to a deficiency of air. Make sure that an air compressor for painting you are selecting has enough specifications to meet your paint job.