Plasma cutters emerge out to be one of the powerful and most effective tools to cut metals of equal thickness. Plasma cutters are adapted to cut and shape metal sheets and give them proper angles through localized heated cones.
The process comprises channels of superheated ions aided by a compressed gas that can be oxygen or inert gas from the nozzle at high speed. An electrical circuit is formed that produces sufficient heat to melt the metal.
Modifications have been made in plasma cutters to obtain more effective, efficient, and powerful results.
One of those modifications is the use of an air compressor.
To obtain desirable results, an air compressor with 80 PSI is highly recommended as it has the capability of adjusting pressures and giving full-fledged edges.
Review safety kits for your necessary tools here.
Why do I need an air compressor?
Plasma cutters require air pressure to accomplish cutting in two stages. In the first stage, the metal is converted to a melted state. In the second stage, air at pressure burst out from the compressor to give a final cut to the metal.
Without an air compressor, the final stage of plasma cutting may not be perfectly achieved. Therefore, you need an air compressor to provide a sufficient blast of pressurized air to the plasma cutter.
Review this informative Air compressor’s Buyer’s Guide.
1. How Big an Air Compressor should be for a Plasma Cutter?
While going to buy an air compressor the bigger the better rule is worth working. Air compressors are specially designed with different tank sizes for DIY tasks or heavy-duty work. If you want to operate your heavy-duty pneumatic tool without interruption due to lack of air pressure, then you need an air compressor big enough to complete the duty cycle. However, if you are dealing with plasma cutting for DIY, then air compressors with a small tank can benefit you more.
2. How much CFM should be for the best Air Compressor?
CFM ( cubic feet per minute) is a vital specification on the basis of which you can select the best air compressor.
Usually, manufacturers rate their air compressors with relative inflated values. For example, an air compressor claiming of producing 5CFM can work at its best for 4CFM.
Ideally, you will select an air compressor of 6CFM at 90 psi to manage your cuttings without interruption due to a lack of air pressure.
3. Do you need an Air Filter for your Air Compressor when using it with Plasma Cutter?
For maintenance and longevity, yes!
Definitely excess air and moisture particulates sent to your plasma cutter will be washed out with air filter. This can enhance and improve the cutting quality of plasma cutter and improve fine cut endings.
Comparison Table | Editor’s Top picks 2023
8 Best Air Compressor for Plasma Cutting of 2023
Here we go with our selected air compressors list:
1.PORTER-CABLE C2002 | Best Air Compressor For plasma cutting under 200
- 150 psi max tank pressure of the portable air compressor allows more air in the tank for longer tool runtimes
- 2.6 SCFM @ 90 psi of the electric air compressor allows for quick compressor recovery time, per ISO1217
- 6 gal Pancake style tank of the PORTER-CABLE air compressor is made for stability, includes water drain valve and rubber feet
- Low Amp 120V motor of the 6 gallon air compressor starts easily in cold weather or with extension cord
- Durable oil-free pump for long life and no maintenance
Top of the list choice by Tools insights Editor, with high demanding reviews. Let’s look into it:
This porter-cable pancake-style air compressor is a user choice for multi-purpose. It can be filling tires, firing nailers, and plasma cutting. It has a 165 psi max air pressure which is a sufficient amount of pressure for plasma cutting activities and the air tank stores more amount of air for long-lasting tool run time.
It has got built-in automatic thermal overload protection, and a high-flow air regulator allows a higher pressure for a quick recharge of its six-gallon tank, giving the flexibility to take on a variety of jobs done.
The oil-free pump features leave you without maintenance problems. It has two regulated air couplers for supporting two users at a time which makes it more efficient and also saves a lot of time. The 120v motor can start quickly in any weather condition.
The two pressure gauges give a good view of incoming and outgoing pressure. The console cover over the motor protects its main component.
This compressor has only 31.3lb weight it also has a water drain valve. It is highly portable you will find no difficulty carrying it from place to place. The rubber feet show no harm to any surface while moving.
- Power full
- Oil-free pump
- Quickly starts in cold weather
- little bit noisy
Review best home accessories and safety tools.
2. CRAFTSMAN Air Compressor | Best Budget air compressor for plasma cutter
- The portable air compressor is proudly made in the USA with Global Materials in Jackson, Tennessee
- PORTABLE: 6 gallon capacity maximizes portability and stored air for CRAFTSMAN air compressor
- NO MAINTENANCE: Durable, oil-free pump of the 6 gallon air compressor is made for long-life and no maintenance
- PRESSURE: 150 Max PSI to ensure adequate cut-inch pressure for a variety of applications
- QUICK RECOVERY TIME: 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI allows for quick compressor recovery time
One of the best 6 gall for plasma cutting made by a craftsman. This craftsman 1.2-gallon oilless air compressor has a maximum of 150 psi which makes it able for a variety of jobs. It is also one of the best for plasma cutting activities.
Its quick recovery time and efficiency make it unique from other compressors surrounding it. It has an oil-free pump so no maintenance issue to worry about. This pancake-style unit supports two users at once because of its dual coupler.
The two pressure gauges show a nice pressure view and the precious parts are protected by hard console covering. It is one of the quick starters in cold weather conditions.
The 6-gallon tank store enough air to maintain the long run time of air devices.
It is 30 lbs lightweight making it easy to carry without any fatigue inside or outside the workplace. It has a one-year warranty which ensures more customer satisfaction.
Note: offers brand nailer, hand tools set, and accessory kit you can purchase one of them with this compressor separately.
- Oil-free pump
- Quick recovery
- Long run time
- Accessory kit
- 71.0 decibels is high noise
3. California Ultra Quiet | Best 8 Gallon Oil-free Air Compressor for plasma cutting
- Comes complete with Wheel Kit & Air Filter | No hose included | Consider you will need a ¼” Universal / Industrial Male Quick Connector to attach your hose to the air compressor
- Product dimensions – 26" L x 14" W x 23” H | Max Pressure – 120 PSI | Voltage – 110V / 60 Hz | Min running watts – 2500 | Noise level – 60 dBA | Max Continuous run time – 30-60 min (depending on PSI & CFM) | Low Amp Draw – 8.5 Amps
- Oil-Free Pump for Less Maintenance & Costs | Powerful 1.0 HP (Rated / Running) 2.0 HP (Peak) Motor
- The large 8.0 Gallon Steel Air Tank is Lightweight (48 lbs) and the wheel kit makes it very easy to transport
- The Oil-Free pump allows for use in a variety of temperatures and uneven terrains | This air compressor is ideal for anyone working inside where noise is a major issue
This 8-gallon air compressor with a max of 120 psi is among the best air compressors made by California air tools. Its unique feature is 60 decibels sound which quietest for any job environment. It has a 1hp pump the Oil-Free Dual Piston Pump feature is engineered for high performance and durability. This pump can be used at different temperatures, most of all in extremely cold conditions.
California Quietest Oil-Free Dual Piston pump is designed to have a life cycle before wear of 3000 Plus hours as compared to other comparable air compressors with life cycles of 500 hours or less. This feature makes it different from others completely.
This 8-gallon large air tank is made of steel and still is only 48lb, the wheel kit makes it transportable fast within no time. This tank can fill in only 130sec. We have a detailed review of compressors with silent features for our daily use.
It can recover in just 30sec from 90psi to 120psi. Review Hobart air compressors with Budget and sales prices. Review other air tools of this brand here.
- 120max psi
- Very quiet
- Steel body
- Starts in cool temp
- Easy to move
- Quick filling
4. Puma Industries Single-stage air compressor for Plasma Cutter
- Oil lubricated, single stage cast iron pump
- Portable units feature built-in pressure regulator and quick coupler for pressure control of outlet air
- 1/2" outlet ball valve and 1/4" drain ball valve on 60 gallon vertical tank
- Single Phase induction motors with overload protection
- Steel wheels with ball bearing and no flat tires for best mobility
This puma single-stage air compressor for plasma cutter is a single-stage featured. It has a 3hp motor very suitable for hard work in the filling, nailing, and plasma cutting projects. It has a maximum of 135 psi pressure, a 60-gallon air tank, not worry about filling time. This strong tank will fill up in no time.
Best of all about its feature which I love having an oil-lubricated single stage cast pump and has also a built-in pressure regulator and quick coupler for outlet air pressure control. single-phase induction motors are covered with overloaded protection, just as well as once twice the price.
The strong 60-gallon verticle tank has a 1/2″ outlet ball valve and a 1/4″ drain ball valve on it. the tank has steel wheels having ball bearing in it for perfect mobility around the workplace. This vertical tank compressor for plasma cutter occupies less space that making it much more suitable to place in the home as well.
Besides it this compressor for plasma cutter is 305lb is still so quiet, you can run it on 230/1 phase voltage without having any trouble. Its maintenance is so easy can be repaired at home as well if you are an expert. Review the best 12v air compressors here.
- 135 max psi
- Oil-lubricated pump
- Built-in pressure regulator
- Steel tank
- little expensive
- steel wheels can scratch work surface
5. Industrial 60-Gallon Single Stage compressor for plasma cutter
- cast iron, twin cyclinder, oil lubricated pump
- one-piece cast iron crankcase and 12 inch caast iron crankcase
- 240 volt heavy duty induction motor
- splash type lubrication
- equipped with pressure gauge and on/off switch
This cast iron twin cylinder product of industrial air you are looking at is made for extremely heavy-duty jobs, like cutting plasma and any type of inflation. The demanding features of this machine are that it has extra duty long-lasting components, they are built to face the toughest conditions whatsoever.
This product has a 3.7hp motor and a maximum of 155psi pump pressure making it one of the strongest. The pump is oil-lubricated which makes it quiet and durable.
The quality features are that it has a thermally stable cast iron cylindrical body, aluminum head, and valves plates, one-piece cast iron crankcase, cast iron twin cylinder, stainless steel valves, easily oil filling feature, and oil sight glass as well. Fulfilling all the needs you are searching for.
The 60-gallon strong tank has a pressure gauge and on-off switch as well. More than this capacity will satisfy your industrial needs.
This product has another plus point that it offers free helpline services to its valuable customers. This product satisfies DIY users and commercial users.
Note: Air compressor oil is the basic need for all types of compressors. For purchasing the best product Click here.
- Max 155 PSI
- Heavy duty
- Oil-lubricated pump
- Free helpline service
- 2 years warranty
- No moving support
6. Campbell Hausfeld | Best Portable Air Compressor for Plasma cutting
- Greatly reduced noise: 68 decibel rating allows the user to run compressor in home environments
- Max 125 PSI
- Oil-free, maintenance free pump
- The conveniently placed gauges and regulator allow for easy monitoring of tank and line pressure
- 6 Gallon Tank
This air compressor is a pancake style having a 6-gallon air capacity. This one of the silent operators has just 68 DB noise level which is 50% low as compared to other same caliber air compressors.
This one hp unit is powered by 120 v can be easily plugged into any household circuit. Besides its tiny structure, it has got 125 psi, a high amount of pressure to run air tools like inflators, nailers, staplers, paint sprayers, and pressure washers without having any trouble.
The key feature of this air compressor is oil-free maintenance-free pumps that can operate non-stop and last up to four times more than other same units. This characteristic also improves its performance and durability.
This air compressor is just 62 lb and the soft grip steel handle makes it highly portable around the job site.
The manufacturer of this compressor also offers a one-year limited warranty. Moreover, If you are interested in more capacity compressors, review the best 30-gallon air compressors.
- 125 psi maximum pressure
- Quietest as compared to other same units
- Noisy in congested job site
7. BOSTITCH Air Compressor | Best Budget Air Compressor for Plasma Cutting
- SB-1850BN 18 GA brad nailer in the air compressor combo kit drives 18GA brad nails from 5/8-inch to 2-inch
- SB-1664FN 16 GA straight finish nailer drives 16 GA straight finish nails from 1-1/4-inch to 2-1/2-inch
- BTFP71875 heavy-duty 3/8-inch crown stapler drives 3/8-inch crown staples from 1/4-inch to 9/16-inch and 18GA brad nails from 1/2-inch to 5/8-inch
- 1/4-inch x 15' PVC air hose includes fittings
This pancake-style air compressor has got 84% five-star customer reviews. The reason is that this small but powerful unit is best for all sorts of interior and exterior projects. It can handle a variety of projects like cabinets, staircases, and furniture from trimming to finishing work.
This oil-free and maintenance-free pump air compressor feature a maximum of 150 psi air pressure and 2.6 scfm delivered 90 psi which is an ideal pressure for all pneumatic tools, especially plasma cutters.
This unit has a high-efficiency motor which allows easy start-up in extremely cold conditions.
This compressor is very simple to use and also very easy to move around the workplace. Its console cover protects its important components.
It has got only 78 DB noise level, it also offers a 3-tools combo kit which includes an 18GA brad nailer, 16 GA straight finish nailer, and ⅜ heavy duty stapler.
- Max 150 psi
- Less expensive
- 6-gallon tank
- Oil-free maintenance free
- 78 DB noise level
8. DEWALT Pancake Compressor for plasma Cutter
- 165 max PSI 6.0 gallon tank (22.7 L) and 2.6 SCFM delivered @ 90 PSI pump, enable long tool run time with quick recovery for the portable air compressor
- High efficiency motor of the electric air compressor is made for easy start up in cold weather or extension cord application. [14 ga or larger, 50 ft. (15.2 m) or less]
- 78.5 dBA noise level of the 6 gallon air compressor is made for a quiet work environment
- High flow regulator and couplers of DEWALT portable air compressor are designed to maximize air tool performance
- Long life oil free pump for maintenance free operation
This pancake-style Dewalt air compressor best fits a variety of pneumatic tools. This 6-gallon air compressor along with its quick recovery time has got a maximum of 165 psi air pressure which can handle numerous projects with ease.
The long-life oil-free pump allows maintenance-free operation and its high flow regulator ensures high performance.
The quality motor can start quickly in cold weather and its console cover protects its essential parts, also removable to allow quick repair.
The two couplers allow the user to work at once. The 30 lb weight makes it highly portable and the rubber leg cover prevents scratches.
This unit has a 75 DB noise level which is quite as compared to the same units.
The air tank has a ball drain valve for nice and quick-draining to improve the tank life and avoid rusting.
- Maximum 165 psi
- Works nice for small projects
9. Metabo HPT “THE TANK” Pancake Best Budget air compressor For Plasma cutter
- MORE PRESSURE: At 200 PSI, this compressor offers 25% greater PSI than a basic pancake compressor
- 30% MORE AIR FLOW: 4 CFM @ 90 PSI allows for multiple large body nailers to be used on a single compressor
- VERSATILITY: Simultaneously runs 2 framing nailers or 2 roofing nailers or 2 siding nailers or 3 finish nailers or 5 brad nailers
- PRODUCTIVITY: Consistently drives nails flush with no delay
- LIGHTWEIGHT: At only 41 lbs, it is 22% lighter compared to a traditional twin-stack compressor
In the list of all the above best air compressors, this pancake style is the highly recommended tool for your home use. Its power source is electrically corded. It is the best choice as its maximum air pressure is 200 PSI.
This compressor offers 25% greater PSI than a basic pancake compressor.
With extra PSI, it also offers 30% more airflow at 4 CFM @ 90 PSI that allowing for multiple large body nailers to be used on a single compressor. Moreover, is very lightweight only 41 lbs, it is 22% lighter compared to a traditional twin-stick compressor.
The capacity of this air compressor for the plasma cutter is 6 Gallon for work.
Review Air drills for home use.
Buying Guide For Best Air Compressors | What to look for?
The following are the points to keep in mind while buying the best air compressor for plasma cutters.
It is an easy way of determining the size of the compressor you need for plasma cutting. A 5HP compressor drawing 24 amps is highly rated for operating plasma cutters without any interruption in delivering air.
2. Maximum PSI
Usually, an 8-gallon tank with 80 PSI can operate your pneumatic tool with a maximum tendency of keeping a continuous supply of air without any break.
3. Air Compressor Tank Size
Does this matter? Not at all. The Air compressor tank does not produce air, it only stores air. If air production is at the maximum rate, the storage or size of the tank doesn’t matter at all.
4. Duty Cycle
You must check the duty cycle before considering any air compressor. It is usually expressed in percentage. It tells how early the compressor will run out of a 10 minutes period. Industrial compressors with a 75% duty cycle are highly suggested. The duty cycle with 100% will heat up quickly and will stop working.
Usually, an air compressor needs to cool down before you ignite it again. Most of the reviews about cutters suggest 35 duty cycles at 15 Amps and 50% duty cycles at 12 Amps.
Always prefer an air compressor with quick bounce back property for your heavy load of plasma cutting.
5. Power Consumption
Plasma cutters utilize different voltage inputs. The most powerful machine can operate at 240 Volts with the generation of 30 Amp output power.
For cutting ⅛ inch steel sheets, you need a smaller 120 V machine that can generate 15 Amps that are sufficient for a fine cut.
How much power you require solely depends upon the nature of your task. Greater power generation is required where you run a plasma cutter all day for some heavy industrial work.
6. Warranty and Life Expectancy
Not all air compressors get a strong back of warranty. Claiming any broken or malfunctioned machine may not be accepted by some of the manufacturers, blaming consumers to be responsible for the claimed fault. So you cannot invest randomly in any air compressor.
To make it convenient for you, we have mentioned some of the most reliable products that have a warranty on their machine and you can claim an easy refund if there are wear and tear.
7. Life Expectancy
Air compressors with iron cylinder casting have greater life expectancy durability and will also save your money eventually.
How big of an air compressor do you need to run a plasma cutter?
All plasma manufacturers include minimum airflow and pressure requirements for an air compressor.
How much air pressure is needed for a plasma cutter?
Between 55 to 70 psi.
What gas is required for a plasma cutter?
Compressed Air is the most commonly used gas for lower current plasma cutting and works for most metals from gauge thickness to 1 inch.
Not all air compressors are suitable to operate with plasma cutters. There are some specifications as some of them are mentioned in this article that will help you to select the best air compressor to perform flawless cuttings and fine edges. Review our best picks of 20 gall compressors for daily use.
Review safety tools for daily use.
GUIDE on the best plasma cutter with a built-in air compressor here.
Make your garden green and healthy with this air tool.
Impact Drivers Vs Wrench Drills
Best Backpack Leaf Blower Reviews
Best Battery Powered Weedeater Reviews
Types of drills know what drill to use when