Our Top Picks of Best Air Compressors
Our Top Pick: PORTER-CABLE Air Compressor, 6-Gallon, Pancake, Oil-Free
“This is the Most reliable air compressor you can use for all purposes”
“This cheap 8 Gallon is the budget pick for inflation, hobby painting, stapling, fastening, nailing, and bolting projects”
Best Quiet Performance: California Air Tools 10020C Ultra Quiet Oil-Free and Powerful Air Compressor, 2 HP
“When noise is the problem you are facing, this is the best overall silent pick around the tools”
“This is the one designed to thrive in mechanics shops, paint shops, and on trucks to facilitate you with the best one for heavy performance”
“When the brand is the major concern in a small pack, this Dewalt is the topmost choice for you.
Best Portable: Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit
“Portability matters in all aspects that is why we introduce this lightest pick of the list”
Best Gas-Powered air compressor: DEWALT Air Compressor for Trim, 200-PSI Max, Quiet Operation
“Not always Oil-free is the best, that is why it is the best for residential and commercial need”
Air compressors are pneumatic devices that have made far-reaching changes in the ways we approach work at our workshop. These are not only used for managing our DIY pneumatic tools but accomplish a wide variety of heavy-duty chores as well. Paint spraying, brad nailing, inflating a flat tire, nail guns, sandblasting… you cannot deny the efficiency of this power machine.
When it comes to selecting the best air compressor for your pneumatic device, you wander for a suitable gallon size, portability, and the type of air compressor that fits your purpose. It is indeed not easy to purchase one when you are not much into air compressors.
This article is a detailed guide to help you select the desired air compressor for your air tool.
5 Points to Check-in Good Air Compressor
Size of the Tank
Tank size is what determines the amount of compressed air you can expect from an air compressor. Usually, a smaller tank size air compressor is destined for DIY tasks as well as small workshop jobs like inflating a tire, etc. moreover, the smaller the tank size of the air compressor, the easier it will be in portability and travel. Large size tanks, on the other hand, are used for heavy pneumatic tools such as industrial tools, pharmaceuticals, and food and beverages.
Pounds per square inch abbreviated as PSI is the volume of air delivered by an air compressor to operate the air tool. As per rule, the greater the PSI of an air compressor, the more efficient it will operate the pneumatic tool. Also, it will hassle you to refill the compressor tank frequently.
For example, the psi of an air compressor is rated as 100, this means that 100 pounds of compressed air are being delivered per square inch.
It is the abbreviation of cubic feet per meter. Making it in easy words, it is the amount of air moved out of the air compressor in a minute. An air compressor with 30 CFM will deliver 30 cubic feet of air in a minute to your pneumatic tool.
Level of Noise DB
The level of noise becomes of greater concern when you are residing in a residential area. Your air compressor sound may annoy the neighbors in the surrounding, the worst part of it is the hazardous impacts on the user’s hearing as well. An air compressor with 60Db is much quiet in operation as compared to an 80Db air compressor.
Review some Quietest Picks.
Portability is an additional choice in the air compressor. The air compressor should be compact enough so that it fits the vehicle as well as can be carried to distant workstations and shops. Portable air compressors usually feature a handle to carry the tank with ease wherever needed.
Review Portable Air tools here.
Best Air Compressors Reviews 2022
|Name of Air Compressors||PSI MAX||CFM||Tank Capacity|
|Best Overall||Portal Cable C 2002 ||150||2.6||6 Gallon|
|Best 8 Gallon Air Compressor||Campbell Hausfeld DC080500||125||3.7||8 Gallon|
|Best 20 Gallon Air Compressor||Dewalt DXCMPA1982054||155||5.7||20 Gallon|
|Best 60 Gallon Air Compressor||California Air Tools CAT-60040CAD||125||10.60||60 Gallon|
|Best 80 Gallon Air Compressor||Campbell Hausfeld CE7052||175||17.2||80 Gallon|
|Best Portable Air Compressor||Viair 40047 400P-RV||150||2.3||6 Gallon|
|Best Air Compressor for the Money||WEN 2287 6-Gallon Oil-Lubricated / Powermate Vx PLA4708065||155||14||6 Gallon, 80 Gallon|
|Best Small Air Compressor||CRAFTSMAN Air Compressor||150||2.6||6 Gallon|
|Best 2 stage air compressor||Ingersoll-Rand IRTC2475F13GH||175||25 ACFM||30 Gallon|
|Best Cordless Air Compressor||DEWALT FLEXVOLT||135||1.2||2.5 Gallon|
|Quietest Air Compressor||Kobalt Quiet Tech 4.3-Gallon||150||2.4||4.3 Gallon|
|Best Garage Air Compressor||Husky 20 Gallon Vertical Oil Free||200||4.0||20 Gallon|
|Best Industrial Air Compressor||Industrial Air IV5048055||175||17.9||80 Gallon|
Best Overall- PORTER-CABLE Air Compressor | Best Air Compressors for Home Garage
- 150 psi max tank pressure of the portable air compressor allows more air in the tank for longer tool runtimes
- 2.6 SCFM @ 90 psi of the electric air compressor allows for quick compressor recovery time, per ISO1217
- 6 gal Pancake style tank of the PORTER-CABLE air compressor is made for stability, includes water drain valve and rubber feet
- Low Amp 120V motor of the 6 gallon air compressor starts easily in cold weather or with extension cord
- Durable oil-free pump for long life and no maintenance
If you are looking for the best pancake portable air compressor, then nothing can beat this Porter-Cable air compressor. It is rated among the best 120 Volt air compressor that can be used for small pneumatic tools and manages tire inflation as well as nail guns with the same efficiency and top-notch performance.
Porter-Cable is actually a 6 Gallon air compressor that is designed to last long and stay efficient. It consists of a water drain valve to remove the accumulated water as well as rubber wheels for easy portability. This air compressor is integrated with 2.6SCFM at 90 Psi which ensures an extended operation time and a rapid recovery time.
If you intend to buy the best oil-free air compressor that helps you out in your daily chores, home garage as well as tire inflation, Porter-Cable will never disappoint you. This air compressor can operate in extreme weather conditions, so if you are residing in some cold areas, here is your pick. It never exceeds your available budget by utilizing only 120v and low amperes of current; no worries about the electricity bills. Moreover, it is not wrong to call it the best airbrush compressor as it comes with replaceable brushes that prevent the rapid wear and tear of the motor.
What we Like
- Best portable air compressor
- Oil-free to avoid hassles of oiling
- Light in weight
- Durable and sturdy
- Offers toolkit equipped with 13 accessories
- Long-running time and quick refill
- Thermal overload protection air couplers to facilitate two users at a time
What we Don’t Like
- Need to operate in a place where noise is not a problem
Best 8 Gallon Air Compressor – Campbell Hausfeld DC 080500
- 125 maximum PSI provides airflow to power a variety of air tools for a wide range of home and auto jobs including engine repair, tire repair and maintenance, tire inflation, and more
- Horizontal design, handle and rear wheels for easy storage and portability. Designed with an oil-lubed pump
- 125 Max PSI, 3.7 CFM @ 90 PSI. Finish your projects faster and easier with Campbell Hausfeld - The Air Power Expert
- Power Source: Electric Induction
Best for portability, the 8-gallon air compressor is best for home use and DIY. The air compressor is sufficient enough to provide pneumatic power to tire inflation, engine repair in your home garage. According to experts’ analysis, Campbell Hausfeld 8 Gallon air compressor is the best one for home and garage use.
This air compressor has acquired two of the best attributes a mechanic looks at in an air compressor. First, the alignment of this air compressor is horizontally acquiring a wide base of support and two rear wheels that make it perfect for portability. Secondly, it is only 68DB in noise production which can be tolerated easily ( 50% less )as compared to other 1 HP air compressors.
Technically, Campbell Hausfeld has the ability to last almost 4 times the life of other high-rated 8-gallon air compressors. The large 3.7 CFM is a way to ensure that maximum air is drawn to operate inflation, home garage, and emerges as the best air compressor for painting. Moreover, this is the air compressor ideal for air nailers, air staplers, impact wrenches, inflations, and spray guns at your home garage as well as shop.
What we Like
- Reliable and durable
- Best portable air compressor
- 50% quieter than other air compressors
- Easy to move
- Oil lubrication for maintenance
- Best air compressor on a budget
What we don’t like
- Not suitable for larger projects
Best 20 Gallon Air Compressor | Dewalt DXCMPA1982054
- 7.0 CFM at 40 psi and 5.7 CFM at 90 psi
- 155 PSI max pressure for optimum tool performance
- 20 gallon ASME* portable tank with pre-attached pneumatic tires for maximum portability
- Dual voltage motor is wired for standard 120 volt outlet and may also be converted for 240 volt application
- Equipped with quick-set regulator, tank and working pressure gauges and on/off switch
Whether it’s a commercial use or some DIY projects, a 20-gallon air compressor never disappoints its consumers. This can be the best onboard air compressor for trucks to assist tire inflation, nail guns, and impact wrench. One of the hallmark features of a 20 gallon air compressor is its portability. The pneumatic power is great, however, we cannot recommend a 20-gallon air compressor for painting, the best air compressor for paint sprayers is better than a 30-gallon air compressor.
If you are trying to avail of the portability option along with the best specs in a 20-gallon air compressor then.
The Dewalt 20 gallon air compressor has a cast-iron cylinder with oil lubrication to minimize the chances of wear and tear. The decent value of CFM and a dual voltage application enables this air compressor to be well utilized in places where voltage is been a problem. Operation is also comparatively quieter as compared to other air compressors. It is lightweight and consists of wheels and handles so that it can easily be moved from home to the workplace.
Other options of the best 20-gallon air compressors are available in our article, if you want to look for your desired option, click on the best 20-gallon air compressors.
Review here some more DEWALT air compressor’s Models.
Best 60 Gallon Air Compressor | California Air Tools CAT-60040CAD
- Ultra quiet only 75 decibels
- Oil-free pump for less maintenance & costs
- 60.0 gallon steel ASME air tank
- Two powerful 2.0 HP (rated/ running) motors
- 10.60 CFM at 90 PSI and 12.60 CFM at 40 PSI
What can be more helpful than a 60-gallon air compressor that can be used for large pneumatic tools, industrial air tools, impact wrenches, and sandblasters The best feature of the 60-gallon air compressor is that they never run out of air supply, maintain a continuous supply of compressed air to operate the pneumatic tool without any break.
One of the most recommended and highly ranked 60-gallon air compressors is California Air Tools CAT-60040CAD.
Apart from other high-end specifications, CAT operates at only 75DB level of sound which is amazing for a person looking for the best quietest air compressor. It is an oil-free machine with minimum chances of wear and tear. Moreover, 10.60 CFM ensures its consumers a nonstop operation of the pneumatic tools in extreme cold weather conditions. CAT 60 gallon air compressor is a trio-tray; efficiency, power, and maximum delivery of compressed air. Read the full review of the Best 60 Gallon Air Compressor 2022.
Best 80 Gallon Air Compressor | Campbell Hausfeld CE7052
- NEMA motor, 80 Gal. Tank, 17.2 CFM at 90 PSI, 175 Max PSI, 230 V, 21.1 Amp, 1 phase, 60 Hz
- Ideal compressor for auto repair facilities & tire repair outlets with the ability to power multiple air tools; 2-stage pump that’s designed to deliver more than 15,000 hours of operation
- Viton(r) high-temperature O-rings for superior high-pressure sealing when compared to paper gaskets
- For smooth, low-vibration operation, the crankshaft is fabricated of ductile iron and optimally balanced
- Start your projects right away; bundle this unit with a Campbell Hausfeld 50 ft. Air Hose (PA121600AV), 17 Piece Accessory Kit (MP284701AV), and the 3-in-1 inflation gun, chuck and gauge (MP600000AV)
An 80-gallon air compressor is a huge promise of compressed air to your pneumatic tool. Mostly, it is required by the industrialist for commercial and industries to lessen the possibility of running out of compressed air in the midst of their projects. The best 80-gallon air compressor money can buy is the Campbell Hausfeld CE7052. It is the best option to consider by the contractors, garage owners, and other commercial users.
It is a horizontally aligned 2 stage air compressor machine with a wide base of support. Campbell Hausfeld’s 80-gallon air compressor is the best product of choice for those dealing with sanding, painting spraying, nail gun, and bolting applications. One of the flaws of this air compressor is that it makes a bit of a noise, which can be bartered as industrial machinery is already noisy. Campbell 80 gallon air compressor is best in dealing with multiple pneumatic tools at a time without a single complaint of running out of compressed air.
If you are looking for a portable 80-gallon air compressor, do check our reviews on the Best 80 Gallon Air Compressors 2022.
Best Portable Air Compressor | Viair 40047 400P-RV
- Convenience: Plug directly into Cigarette Lighter Socket of your Vehicle. 12VDC, 10 to 15 amps, 120 to 180W. Equipped with 12V-DC Cigarette Lighter Socket Plug, NOT 110V AC plug.
- Multiple Uses: Inflate tires on cars, bikes, sedan and midsize SUV. (Engine size under 3.5 liter) Universal valve connector for schrader valve is ready to use. Additional adapters include needles value (for basketball, balls), short cone/long cone adapters (for inflatable kayak, swimming pool accessories, etc)
- Capacity: Does NOT Support truck tires, for instance: light truck tires (LT), heavy duty truck tires or any truck tires.
- Easy to Read: 4 Display Units: PSI, KPA, BAR, KG/CM; LED FLASHLIGHT: Bright Torch
- Prevent Over Inflation: Auto shut off when reaching the desired tire pressure. Overheat protection shuts off automatically when overloading. USPTO Patent NO:D875,788
Portability and convenient carrying of an air compressor is the utmost factor required by those who have to travel from place to place with an air compressor. It is not very difficult to identify a portable air compressor from its size and shape. However, the efficiency and performance of a portable air compressor cannot be determined until you check it out.
We have relieved you from this search by providing the best portable air compressor you can have for tires, specifically the best portable air compressor for car and truck tires, offroading, and for your garage. Viair 40047- RV is the best small portable air compressor that comes with an automatic air compressor kit that is more durable and efficient as compared to other small portable air compressors.
When other air compressors fail to fulfill the required compressed air demand, Viair is the best 12V portable air compressor that inflates multiple pneumatic tools at a time. If you are looking for other experts who recommended portable air compressors, click on 9 Best Portable Air Compressors 2022.
Best Air Compressor for Money | Powermate Vx PLA4708065
- Features a Powerful 240-Volt, 15-Amp Motor that Delivers 4.7-HP
- Offers a 155-PSI Maximum Pressure
- Provides 14-CFM at 90-PSI for Longer Air Tool Run Times on Ratchets, Impacts, Spray Guns and Hammers
- Features a 80-Gallon Capacity Tank Durably Built from Steel
- Includes a Oil-Lubricated Pump with a 1-Piece Cast-Iron Crankcase and a Full Cast-Iron Cylinder Body
Air compressors are generally tagged with a very pricey label, to make sure you are purchasing the best air compressor for money, make clear your intent of use. Either you are buying the best air compressor for home or garage use for only tire inflation or you need the best budget air compressor for industrial use, you must consider the power it delivers to your pneumatic tool.
Reaching the result of your search, either it is for the best air compressor for home garage, best airbrush compressor for miniature painting or an air compressor for home use, or for nail gun, sandblasting and the best air compressor for automotive air tools; you cannot have a better option other than Powermate Vx PLA4708065.
This is an 80 gallon air compressor with a good thermal overload protection. Being the best electric air compressor, it holds a large amount of compressed air so that you may not run short of compressed air while operating multiple pneumatic tools at a time.
Best Small Air Compressor | Craftsman Air Compressor, 3 Gallon
- PORTABLE: This 3 gallon air compressor’s compact design with light weight makes it extremely easy to transport from site to site
- HIGH PERFORMANCE: With a 3 gallon tank and a 1. 5 HP UMC motor , the compressor provides adequate stored air power and dependable performance. It boasts a maximum PSI of 155 and fast inflation speed to finish your projects with ease and efficiency
- Durable: The oil free and maintenance free pump system is engineered for high performance and durability, which lasts for longer tool run times
- MULTIFUNCTION: This compressor is ideal to tackle a lot of projects with ease like inflation, hobby painting, stapling, fastening, nailing, and bolting
- What you can get: 1 x Air compressor, 1 x Air filter, 1 x 6 feet cord, 1 x quick coupler, 1 x ball valve, 1 year limited lifetime
A small air compressor like Craftsman Air Compressor 3 gallon, on one hand, emerges as the best portable air compressor and on the other hand, is a miracle in painting your home. Small air compressors are the best airbrush compressors for miniature painting, the best air pump for car tire inflation, bathing pool inflation, and assists you in cleaning around the house.
Craftsman air compressor is the best air compressor under 200, without a mere compromise on its efficiency and durability. This small air compressor is oil-free which means you need not to bother about its maintenance and frequent lubrication. Craftsman 3 gallon air compressor makes the best 120-volt portable air compressor ideal for stapling, fastening, nailing, and bolting.
Best 2 Stage Air Compressor | Ingersoll Rand 45466067
- Durable cast iron for 100% continuous duty application
- Precision engineered components for over 15,000 hours of trouble free use
- Honda engine
- Extended 2 year warranty when used with Ingersoll Rand's All season select synthetic lubricant
- 25 ACFM @ 175 PSIG
While thinking about the major line of differentiation between a single-stage and 2 stages air compressor, let me clear it for you. It is actually the pump that indicates that for how many times the air will pass through it before operating any pneumatic tool. This clearly shows that a 2 stage air compressor will deliver more power to your air tool as compared to the single-stage air compressor.
The best 2 stage air compressor is Ingersoll Rand 455466067 that is the most powerful and best air compressor for your home and garage. Besides its use for nailing, sandblasting, and metalworking, it has a major role on an industrial and commercial scale. It is more reliable and efficient with minimum chances of heating up with extensive use as compared to other 30-gallon air compressors. Ingersoll Rand is the best gas-powered air compressor and requires frequent lubrication to resist wear and tear. For further details on Single Stage vs 2 Stage Air Compressors, see our review guide 2022.
Best Cordless Air Compressor | DEWALT FLEXVOLT Cordless, 2.5 Gallon
- Up to 1,220 nails per charge**
- Brushless motor paired with a heavy duty oil-free pump of the portable air compressor provides cordless convenience with the power of a corded tool
- The cordless air compressor features OneTurn regulator for fast, accurate pressure adjustments
- DEWALT portable air compressor is lightweight and portable at only 21.5 lbs
- Heavy duty roll cage for jobsite application
A cordless air compressor is the best option in terms of portability and convenience. It means that this best portable air compressor is compact enough to be carried with ease and is convenient in all situations; as it does not depend upon an electric power supply. The best cordless air compressor is Dewalt Flexvolt 2.5 gallon that provides enough compressed air to your air tools including car tires, truck tires, bolting, and has been the master in powering your nail guns.
As it is a cordless air compressor, each battery lasts for a long and has a quick recharging time, so you can call Dewalt Flexvolt as the best battery-powered air compressor. The battery can be charged with a cord, without worrying about the power outlet in your work site. So if you need portability, versatility, convenience, and efficiency at the same time, then a cordless air compressor is the one you should purchase. No doubt, this is the best air compressor for home use. ( experts do not render it for heavy-duty industrial air tools).
Quietest Air Compressor | Kobalt Quiet Tech
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, and may arrive in a generic box
Noise produced by an air compressor exceeds 100DB which cannot be tolerated by a person who deals with air tools and air compressors on a daily basis. Apart from the annoying effect on our ears, it may also affect sense of hearing and exerts pressure on our mind and nerves. Moreover, if you are living in a densely populated town, then your air compressor can be a headache to your neighbors.
The ideal solution to this problem is to find the quietest air compressor. Kobalt Quiet Tech is the small quiet air compressor with 4.3 gallons capacity. It can be included among the best electric air compressor for impact wrench, nail gun, car tires, sandblasting, nail roofing, framing, and for home use. The size is way compact, so it can be carried from home to shop for operating air tools. The level of sound of Kobalt Quiet Tech is only 60DB which can easily be tolerated by the surrounding.
The 2 pumps do not require frequent lubrication, so yeah you can say that it is the best oil free air compressor for those who do not get enough time for maintenance of air tools. Kobalt Quiet Tech is best by brand and best budget air compressor; however, if you have enough budget to spend, then have a look at our other options of 9 Best Quietest Small Air Compressors.
Best Garage Air Compressor | Husky 20 Gal. 200 PSI Oil Free
Husky 20 Gallon is perhaps the highest psi air compressor to offer about 35 percent more compressed air to your pneumatic tools in the garage as compared to other 20 gallon air compressors. The 200 psi is maximum enough to offer a quick recovery time so that you may not encounter any lag in your air tool projects.
Husky is probably the best vertical air compressor with a slim design and a small footprint that occupies minimum space in your home garage. Good for spray painting enthusiasts, Husky has an oil free pump that does not need oil separation, thus making it the best air compressor for spray painting.
Moreover, a Husky 20 gallon air compressor can be the best portable option for your home garage and shop with 7 inches wheels. The ideal uses of Husky air compressors are inflation of tire, nailing, stapling, bolting, impact wrench, and surface preparation. It is the perfect air compressor for automotive air tools and auto repair shops.
Best Industrial Air Compressor | The Best Air Compressor Industrial Air IV5048055
- Offers Either 17.9-CFM at 100 -PSI or 17.0-CFM at 175-PSI
- Features a Heavy-Duty, Industrial Design that Protects the Motor from Voltage Fluctuations
- Offers an Expertly Designed Heavy-Duty, 5.2-Horsepower Motor that Operates on 230-Volts
- Includes Rugged Cast Iron Materials Utilized to Manufacture Both the 80-Gallon Tank and the Two Stage Compressor Pump
- Includes a Pre-Wired and Mounted Magnetic Starter
With 17.9 CFM, Industrial Air emerges as the highest cfm air compressor that is capable of managing multiple air tools at a single time. Industrial Air is integrated with a cast iron frame of heavy-duty and industrial design so that your power requiring industrial projects may not suffer from fluctuations and air shortage. The entire structure of this air compressor is constructed for a heavy-duty and commercial project.
The powerful motor and 80-gallon capacity depict that it can provide sufficient compressed air to a large number of pneumatic tools at a time. Industrial Air features a 2 stage compressor pump which is again a narration of the power of this heavy-duty air compressor. Industrial Air IV5048055 is the best stationary air compressor with maximum efficiency and performance for industrial and commercial users.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best air compressor for tire inflation?
Helteko portable air compressor is the best air compressor thriving for tire inflation, impact wrench, nailing, bolting, painting a car and other inflatables air tools.
What is the best air compressor oil?
Highly suggested and in demand, the best air compressor oil is Power mate PX PO18-0084SP. It is 100 percent synthetic oil that offers complete lubrication to your air compressor and avoids chances of wear and tear and other weather-induced damage.
Name some best air compressor brands.
Globally, experts have rated some brands as the best air compressor brands on the basis of their performance, efficiency, and durability.
Porter-Cable, Campbell Hausfeld, Dewalt, California Air Tools, Matika, Kobalt, and Craftsman are the best air compressor manufacturing brands.
Are Harbor Freight air compressors the best?
Harbor Freight air compressors are the best budget air compressors for operating small air tools in your home shop or garage and can be good for using as a spray gun for small air compressors.
Suggest the quietest pancake air compressor 2022.
Campbell Hausfeld DC060500 is the quietest small portable pancake air compressor with a capacity of 6 gallons and level of sound is only 68Db.
How to Use an Air Compressor for Home or Outplace?
You need to apply the following basic Guidelines for easy use.
- First, make sure that you checked the oil level that the compressor is properly lubricated.
- Then, plug the unit into the correct grounded, 3-pronged outlet and turn the pressure switch on and close the tank drain valve correctly.
- Adjust the pressure properly for the tool you are using and for the job, you will be doing.
- Never exceed recommended pressure for the tool or the job as prescribed.
- When finished with settings and adjustments, shut off the motor, unplug the unit, and turn off the regulator valve.
- Then bleed the air out of the hose.
- Remove the tool and open the regulator to bleed the air in the tank.
- If you have a quick connection, you must either remove the hose to bleed off the air from the tank or bleed the air through the drain cocks.
How do you fill an air compressor?
- Inspect Tank & Fittings. You should always inspect your tank and fittings beforehand.
- Attach Air Hose. Attach the air hose to the fitting on your tank.
- Start the air machine to get the air into the tank.
- Don’t Overfill.
Review Guide on how to pick the best one for your home use or commercial use.