What are the main Considerations for a Pancake air compressor purchase?
If you plan to use your compressor to inflate car tires, then you’ll probably be fine with almost any reasonably sized pancake compressor. If you’re looking for something that’s more durable, then look for a design that’s meant to be used outdoors. A metal cage around a compressor will give it extra protection and durability.
All pancake compressors are fairly portable. Some make it easier than others for people to carry. If you want to bring your compressor with you, check out the size of the handle on the top. It should be easy to grab. It should also have non-slip rubber feet on the bottom so it won’t slip when you’re walking. It will protect your floors and keep them from vibrating.
What kind of pump do you want? Oil-free is easier to clean, runs better, and tends to be less heavy than the oil pump alternative Because the oil-free style contains fewer ingredients, it’s easier to prepare. A simple design results in a noticeable cost difference between oil-free and regular products.
Max PSI Rating
The most important feature to look for when choosing a pump is the maximum PSI rating. It can handle up to this much air pressure. For a decent-quality vacuum cleaner that can handle most home chores, look for a maximum pressure setting of at least 90. Some might be a little higher. However, higher PSIs mean it moves air more quickly and drains the tank faster than lower PSIs.
A typical pancake air compressor holds about 6 gallons. Some models are as big as one or two gallons (or liters). The larger the tank size, the more air it holds and the longer it will stay running without needing to be refilled. A larger tank also means the whole unit is bigger and heavier, which could be an issue for some people. If the PSI capacity is low, increase the size of the tank.
The noise level is the volume at which the compressor runs while it’s on. Some pancake compressors are so noisy that they’re unbearable. Most air compressors come with an indication of their noise level rating on the package. Listen for any sound below 80 decibels. If you hear any sounds below 80 The lower the noise level, the quieter the machine is.
Benefits of Pancake Air Compressors
Versatile: You can use your air compressor for a variety of different purposes. They make quick work outfitting bicycles, sporting equipment, and inflatable rafts. Larger pancake compressors can be used to fill smaller car tires or smaller air tools.
Lightweight: A pancake air compressor is small enough to be easily carried around. Many people have a large grip on the top of their kettlebells so they can easily lift them. They’re also lighter than other compressor options, so they’re easier to carry in the back of your car or the back of your truck.
Easy maintenance: Small pancake air compressor models tend to be easier to maintain and care-for than large pancake air compressor models. Even a beginner can easily operate and maintain their compressor. So they’re a good choice for the average homeowner too.
Specifications of Pancake air compressor
- Depth 17.13 in.
- Height 19.75 in.
- Width 17.13 in.
- Air delivery SCFM at 40 PSI 3.5
- Air delivery sCFM at 90 2.6
- Amperage 12
- Compressor Tank Capacity 6 Gallons
- Compressor Type Trim
- Decibel Rating (outdoor) 80dBA
- Lubrication Type Oil-Free
- Max pressure PSI 150
- Portable Yes
- Power Source Electric
- Weight 35 lbs.
- Stage Count Single Stage
- Tank Material Steel
- Tank Style Horizontal
- Voltage 120
Features of pancake air compressors
- This tool comes with a 3-year limited warranty.
- A locking regulator prevents unwanted pressure changes by holding the knob in place.
- 1/4 turn tank drain – drains tank easily with just one quick turn
- Two universal push-to-coupler connectors that accept both 1/4 in and 3/8 in automotive and industrial plugs with easy single-hand connection
- A 6-gallon tank large capacity tank reduces the frequency of cycling.
- For the most demanding applications, 150 MAX psi is the maximum pressure available from our line
- 2.6 SCM at 90 psi for high delivery and maximum performance
- Universal motor for superior start in low voltage situations
- A best-in-class oil free pump for maintenance-free reliable performance
6 Best Pancake Air Compressor Reviews 2023
1. Bostitch Air Compressor Kit First and foremost | Lightweight air compressor
- The portable air compressor has a long-life oil-free, maintenance-free pump for convenient use
- 150 max PSI 6.0 gallon tank (22.7 L) and 2.6 SCFM* delivered @ 90 PSI pump enable long tool run time with quick recovery of the electric air compressor
- BOSTITCH high efficiency motor of the 6 gallon air compressor is made for easy start up in cold weather or extension cord application [14 GA or larger, 50 ft. (15.2 m) or less]
- 78.5 dBA** operational noise level for a quiet work environment
- 29 lb. weight makes unit easy to carry and store
we have the Bostitch pancake air compressor. Bostitch products were developed by a company with more than 100 years of brand history. It has the excellent quality, good reviews, and positive ratings too. The Pancake compressor is an oil-free, portable air compressor machine.
- It has a maximum pressure of 150 psi. At this level, a machine can deliver a high-pressure pump capacity of up to 90 psi.
- The tank capacity of this machine is 6 gallons (22.7 liters) which translates to 22.7 US gallons (88.5 L).
- A manageable horsepower of 0.9 hp which may seem low but isn’t too bad.
- Air delivery rate at around 2.5 SCFM per total CFM capacity
- Don’t worry about not being able to operate in winter because we’re going to freeze the device. It’s very efficient and can even start working in cold winters.
- It has a low noise operation capacity at about 79 dBA which is decent enough for most working environments.
- Maximum performance is guaranteed thanks to the embedded regulators and the large flow couplers.
- Can let out 2 hose lines with the 2 coupler connectors for 2 users simultaneously.
- A machine that doesn’t use any oil and is easy to maintain and eco-friendly at the same time
- Just 29 pounds in weight so light and easy to carry around.
- Comes with an accessories pack that includes 10 different parts for easier pump use and tire maintenance.
- Warranty: Bostick provides you with a one-year of limited manufacturer’s guarantee from the date of purchase You can also get a 4-year warranty extended for free.
2. Craftsman Air compressor | Portable electric pancake compressor
- The portable air compressor is proudly made in the USA with Global Materials in Jackson, Tennessee
- PORTABLE: 6 gallon capacity maximizes portability and stored air for CRAFTSMAN air compressor
- NO MAINTENANCE: Durable, oil-free pump of the 6 gallon air compressor is made for long-life and no maintenance
- PRESSURE: 150 Max PSI to ensure adequate cut-inch pressure for a variety of applications
- QUICK RECOVERY TIME: 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI allows for quick compressor recovery time
Next up is a pancake compressor, the Craftsmen CMEC6150K pancake compressor. This oil-free compressor from Craftsman is portable, and it also comes with an accessory kit. So it doesn’t just win in terms of design and builds, but it also wins in terms of overall product qualities.
- This air compressor is too big like the Bostitch Air Compressor comes with a 6- gallon large tank. The overall design is an excellent air delivery model.
- The machine has a max power output of 0.8 HP.
- It has a durable construction and is an oil-free pump, so it is ideal for longer usage and thus offers us a greater performance.
- Has a maximum PSI of 150. It’s perfect for both normal use and heavy-duty functions.
- It has a good CFM capacity at a rated speed of 2.6 SCFMs. Thus, it is desirable enough for regular use.
- A winter frost proof design that ensures the machine starts even in the coldest of winters
- The machine package comes with a large 13 piece accessories set. The accessories include a power cord assembly, coupler, 25 inches long 1/4 inch diameter PVC air hose, rubber plugs, three tire inflator adaptors, and so on.
- Warranty: Craftsmen provides you with a 1-year limited manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase. Any concerns please contact us.
Review Craftsman’s full guide for more featured compressors.
3. Dewalt Pancake Air Compressor | Top rated Home air compressor
- 165 max PSI 6.0 gallon tank (22.7 L) and 2.6 SCFM delivered @ 90 PSI pump, enable long tool run time with quick recovery for the portable air compressor
- High efficiency motor of the electric air compressor is made for easy start up in cold weather or extension cord application. [14 ga or larger, 50 ft. (15.2 m) or less]
- 78.5 dBA noise level of the 6 gallon air compressor is made for a quiet work environment
- High flow regulator and couplers of DEWALT portable air compressor are designed to maximize air tool performance
- Long life oil free pump for maintenance free operation
Dewalt’s pancaking air compressor may look like it has the exact same design schema as both of the air compressors mentioned earlier, but don’t be fooled by its appearance. The Dewalt DWFPA55126 air compressor has an impressive PSI rating for a portable air compressor.
- Comes with a nominal capacity of 6 gallons.
- The air pushing capacity (also known as the airflow) of this air compressor is about 2.6 cfms.
- The pump is powered with a decent enough 0.90 horsepower motor.
- Lose weight by weighing just about thirty pounds
- The maximum pressure the compressor can reach is about 165 psi which is an impressive capacity.
- As well, the engine used in this machine is oil-free, so it will be able to run for a longer period of time than traditional machines, and it will be more durable and less maintenance-intensive at the same time.
- It has two couplers which allow you to use it for 2 people at the same time. The couplers have two small gauges to display the pressure values.
- A very quiet environment of just about 75.0 dBA
- A convenient way to wrap the cord for easy storage.
- Can easily start even when it’s cold outside.
- It has a ball drain valve that allows for faster draining of the tank, which makes it easier to clean.
- There are also four protective rubber leg covers that can help prevent the marring of the machines.
- Warranty: the air compressor comes with a 1-year limited manufacturer’s warranty Concerns
- The package doesn’t include any accessories
Make your garden green and fresh.
4. Porter-Cable Air Compressor | 6 Gallon air compressor
- 150 psi max tank pressure of the portable air compressor allows more air in the tank for longer tool runtimes
- 2.6 SCFM @ 90 psi of the electric air compressor allows for quick compressor recovery time, per ISO1217
- 6 gal Pancake style tank of the PORTER-CABLE air compressor is made for stability, includes water drain valve and rubber feet
- Low Amp 120V motor of the 6 gallon air compressor starts easily in cold weather or with extension cord
- Durable oil-free pump for long life and no maintenance
Porter Cable’s C2002 air compressor is almost identical to the Dewalt air compressor described above. It has a 6-gallons air tank and a decent airflow capacity. Like most of the products in this list, this one too comes with the highest reviews and ratings out there.
- Its maximum continuous flow rate is 2.6 SCFM (scfm = cubic feet per minute).
- Very light in weight by weighing about 30 pounds
- As for the maximum operating pressure of 150 PSI and the SCFM capacity, 120 PSI is more than sufficient for the category.
- The compressor runs on an oil-free 120-volt low ampere motor and thanks to it, the compressor is highly durable in nature.
- It comes with two regulated air couplers, so it supports two cars at the same time.
- For these two connectors, you are also provided two gauges.
- Warranty: Porter Cable provides you with a one year limited manufacturer’s warranty from when you purchased the product.
5. Metabo HPT Air Compressor | Basic pancake compressor
- COMPRESSOR: 6-Gallon pancake style tank delivers reliable and rugged performance
- PSI: 150 PSI of max working pressure for longer run times
- RUN MULTIPLE NAILERS: 2.8 CFM delivered at 90 PSI to operate multiple nailers depending on the application
- MOTOR: 1-HP oil-free high efficiency motor for reliable startups even in cold weather
- PROTECTION: Steel roll cage with rubber grip protects all critical components and provides comfort during transport
Finally, at number five, we have the Metabolife HPT air compressor. It’s the best of the bunch. It’s one of the better capacity air compressors on our list. Metabo HPT was previously known as Hitachi PowerTools.
The air compressor has an air tank of 6 gallons
- 1 HP high-efficiency motor
- The oil-free motors that have a maximum pressure in their tanks of about 150 psi
- It can produce 2.8CFM at 90PSI for running multiple nailers
- It weighs 36.5 pounds. and using the handle at the top, it is simple to carry.
- High quality and comes at an affordable price
- Quiet operation at 73 decibels (dB) noise level
- Comes with two universal quick connectors
- Warranty: The product comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of its purchase.Concerns:
6. Campbell Hausfeld Portable Quietest | Oil-free pancake compressor
- Greatly reduced noise: 68 decibel rating allows the user to run compressor in home environments
- Max 125 PSI
- Oil-free, maintenance free pump
- The conveniently placed gauges and regulator allow for easy monitoring of tank and line pressure
- 6 Gallon Tank
On our list, we have another Campbell Hausfeld air compressor product. The Campbell Hausfeld DC06050 is a six-gallon portable quiet compressor. This one is also designed for mobility and large tank capacities but has high performance. It’s more famous for its quiet operation rather than anything else.
- Comes with a tank for holding 6 gallons of water.
- The maximum air pushing capacity of the tank is about 2.5 CFM.
- The weight of the iPad is substantial at about 60 pounds that kind of kicks back to the portability nature of the product.
- It has a total of one horsepower. It’s good enough for most of your everyday needs.
- A quiet engine that is mainly 50 percent quieter than most other engines on the list, with a noise level of just about 67 dBA.
- Has a maximum PSi pressure capacity of 125 PSI which is good enough for its size
- Quality assurance that can easily be started and run even in the most frigid winter temperatures
- Comes with accessories including hoses, impact wrenches, and paint sprayers.
- Warranty: The product has a one-year manufacturer’s warranty starting from the date of purchase.
Review Dewalt air compressor guide 2022.
Q Can I buy a pancake air compressor at Harbor Freight?
You can buy pancake air compressors from Harbor Freight.
Q Which is better a pancake or hot dog air compressor?
Because hot dog air compressors have bigger tanks, they tend to be more powerful than their smaller counterparts. It helps them to last longer without needing to be recharged. Pancakes can also be made louder than their pancake counterpart. They’re both equally good at building quality products.
Q Are pancake air compressors any good?
Small compressors are worth buying for small projects. They’re light and portable, so they’re ideal for projects where you need to carry the compressor to the job site rather than the other way around.## Output
Q How does a pancake air compressor work?
The tank fills with gas until pressurized. You can then use an attached hose to harness the energy from the compressed air to fill car tires or use a pneumatic tool. As you use the compressor, the tank will continually refill to maintain pressure.
Our top pick for the best pancake air compressor is the Dewalt Pancake Air Compressor. It has an impressive max capacity of 2.6CFM and an operating PSI of 165 PSI.
For a more affordable option, the Craftsman’s Air Compressor comes with five nozzles for maximum versatility and a centralized handle for easy carrying.
Review Brad nailer guide here.